Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Winter Meltdown



Look, I admit it; winter is not my favorite time of year.  Sure I can find things to do that make me happy (or at the very least, keep me content); but honestly, I could do without the shorter days, the bitter cold, and the icy, treacherous roads. 

My other complaint:  everyone is holed up indoors.  I don't know what winter is like where you live, but here you rarely see anyone outside - and when you do, they have angry facial expressions and are dressed in dark, drab colors...grumbling, complaining.  It can get so depressing!

Thank goodness for snowmen, hockey, skating, making snow angels, snowball fights, sledding, skiing and other fun winter things to do!  

That's one of the things I love about Canadians so much - their winters are much worse than the ones here in PA, but they get out and ENJOY it!  They're bundled up in cheerful bright colors and funky toques (that's Canadian for "hat" for my fellow American readers scratching their heads).  It's so refreshing to see people outside during the wintertime...
smiling, laughing, playing!  
 After all, if you're going to live in a cold, snowy climate, you might as well make the most of it!  Otherwise it'd be a LONG and even more miserable winter!


So get out and play this winter!   
Make the most of it! 



 ...and even if you've always dreaded winter (like me!) you just may find yourself having fun instead of being one of the grumbling complainers!  And if not, it'll make the season pass a little quicker!  

Besides, spring will be here before you know it!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I hear you! We've been neg for what seems like forever! Today ~ a high of 11. Feels like a heat wave :) Have fun playing outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that wonderful vote of confidence for us Canadians. I too used to be a hater of winter; then I became a dreader of winter; then I accepted winter. These days, I am determined to enjoy winter! It takes work; but there is beauty all around us at every time of year.

    PS - And if it was any other season, I'd be in the garden lovingly toiling! So, this is a welcome season of (somewhat) restfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yey Canadians!!!! (Unless of course you happened to bite your nails through the Canada vs US Jr. Hockey league game last night!)

    :0(

    Then of course you were saying yey US!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go gal.....it is so much better to stay positive than to be negative all the time! Your post is delightful.

    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. We avoided the worst of the winter by coming to Florida...but it's pretty cold here this week! I just bought a sweatshirt at Walmart...and nice dull gray! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I swear, skiing saved me from the winter blues! Oh and your 2010 post below is right in line with my friday post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an uplifting post, you make an excellent point! And your snowman is SO cute, I would never want him to melt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your so right Judy...next thing you know I'll be crying about how hot it is! lol:)
    have a wonderful day!
    paula

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here, here!! Love the post and the pics!! Looks like Winter Fun!! We got a sled for the pumpkin for xmas, but it's so cold, we're trying to decide if we want to take her out in it. Ha, Ha, she's with my mom today, I left the sled with them! We are under a (second) snow storm wave right now, CRAZY!! Don't mind it much myself. It's Winter, it's here to stay awhile, might as well make the most of it, snow or no snow, cold or no cold. Spring is going to eb awhile! When Mother Nature hands you snow...make a snowman, right??!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Judy,
    I don't like winter much either! Phooey! But it's here for another 3-4 months so guess we better make the most of it. ;-)
    Thanks for your visit to the porch! :-)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! I love hearing from you!