Monday, September 28, 2009

Airplane Party!

 I had so much fun planning my son's  
3rd Birthday party this year!  

His dad chose this year's theme - airplanes.  

Since there isn't much that's commercially available (aside from Jay Jay the Jet), I had to do a lot of custom design work to do to make the theme cute! 

It all came together based on the invitations that I purchased from a seller on Etsy!  They were so adorable - airline tickets with map envelopes!  AP Airlines stood for my son's initials!


I made fondant-covered cookies in 3 coordinating designs for favors: airplanes, giant planes and number 3s with tiny airplanes!






For the kids, I made favor boxes to look like little suitcases decorated with scrapbooking paper and Martha Stewart travel stickers on clearance, and filled each one with a passport, crayons, airplane stickers, an airplane lollipop, and a foam airplane glider.




The cookie favors I put in a super cute suitcase with a sign above that read, "Baggage Claim."



A closeup of the sign in the suitcase:


Outside I hung a giant number 3 balloon and an airplane mylar balloon on the mailbox, along with a giant gold number 3 balloon on his playhouse.





I handpainted cloud-shaped directional signs that I made out of inexpensive foam core to stake along the route to our house to help our guests navigate their way to the party...


and using Adobe Illustrator, made signs throughout the house...



Above the table, I made an aiplane mobile out of gliders hung from fishing line...


For the kids, I made my own trail mix and served them in cute little plastic cups that I decorated with handmade labels and a little handmade sign:


In addition to the buffet of food, I served fruit kabobs, giant Rice Krispy treats w/ M&Ms on jumbo popsicle sticks tied with red, grosgrain ribbons, giant lollipops tied with ribbon stuck in fountain glasses acted as centerpieces and favors for the little ones.  I found airplane chocolates and airplane gummies at a specialty candy shop.

The cake was a double layer cake decorated with fondant clouds, airplanes, a giant number 3 on top, and a fondant banner with his name on it:




Everything got rave reviews and lots and lots of compliments for its originality and attention to detail! 

Most importantly, my son loved it!
 .....
** Some answers to your questions **

I bought the airplane mylar balloon on ebay from a seller in the U.K. (pamela9248)! 

The luggage boxes I designed were made for me by a seller on etsy (favormaker's). They came plain (although they offered to embellish them for me), and I embellished them myself with scrapbook paper strips and Martha Stewart travel stickers!

No stencils on the signs - I handpainted them. As for the other baggage claim signs, I made them in Adobe Illustrator, printed them on 11" by 17" paper, and then mounted them on poster board slightly larger to give the white border and make them studier.

As for games, this was mainly an adult party - with only a handful of little ones - the games were just playing with their airplane gliders (one of their favors) and with my son's toys and playhouse!)

The favors included:

- airplane-shaped lollipops (Walmart's party section)
- foam airplane gliders (bought online)
- passport scribble books (made by nounces, an etsy seller)
- a box of crayons (Walmart)
- an airplane cookie in a cello bag (made by me!)
- a sheet of airplane stickers (from Joann's)


25 comments:

  1. As always Judy..I'm BLOWN away by your talent...attention to detail...and how much your LOVE flows through all you do!!

    Happy..Happy..Birthday Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, it all looks wonderful. Andrew is a very blessed little boy to have two such loving parents. What a lovely party!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok can I hire you for our parties here. As always everything looks so wonderful and I know your son will remember it always. He sure is blessed with a wonderful mommy like yourself.

    Happy Birthday sweet Andrew. Abby sends her birthday wishes also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one special party! Have you thought about being a party planner? What details and cool ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you had a great party. I missed you for the tour, I figured you had so much on your plate and just couldn't get to it. I would love to reschedule though. Let me know.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my soul. . . Judy, you did not let us down!!! LOL!!!! Nor Andrew, for that matter. What an fabulous birthday party. You think of just everything!!!! I don't know how you think of all the small details. Bravo Mommy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is perfect and I am in heaven looking at this (I love parties,lol!) You should submit this to party blog sites! Everything thing about it is just right. A couple questions if you have a minute though:
    - you said you handpainted the cloud directional sign. Did you use stencils and regular acrylic paint?

    -the other signs around (like Baggage Claim) were made on a software program you have to buy? They look too big to print out on a computer?

    My email is cnlisa@hotmail.com Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything is SO cute!!! I love the original theme!! I can only imagine Andrew's birthday party scrapbook when he's all grown...it'll be amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where did you get all the materials for the party favors? Where did you get the box and everything that goes inside?? I am also haveing a airplane theme party and need ideas!!! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. my email is kkim626@hotmail.com
    if you can email me details that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fab party! I'm planning an 2-year old's airplane party and would love to know where/how you did the suitcase favor bags if you used a template or ordered them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great party! Love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  13. can you tell me about the activites that you did at the party?
    sueellenhafen@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where did you get the airplane mylar balloon?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bought the airplane mylar balloon on ebay from a seller in the U.K. (pamela9248)!

    The luggage boxes I designed were made for me by a seller on etsy (favormaker's) that designs favor boxes. They came plain and I decorated them with scrapbook paper strips and Martha Stewart travel stickers!

    No stencils on the signs - I handpainted them. As for the other baggage claim signs, I made them in Adobe Illustrator, printed them on 11" by 17" paper, and then mounted them on poster board slightly larger to give the white border and make them studier.

    As for games, this was mainly an adult party - with only a handful of little ones - the games were just playing with their airplane gliders (one of their favors) and with my son's toys and playhouse!)

    The favors included:

    - airplane-shaped lollipops (Walmart's party section)
    - foam airplane gliders (bought online)
    - passport scribble books (made by an etsy seller)
    - a box of crayons (Walmart)
    - an airplane cookie in a cello bag (made by me!)
    - a sheet of airplane stickers (from Joann's)

    Hope that helps!!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't think it could get any better than the second but this is such a wonderful party for a little boy! The suitcases, cookies, snacks {gasp} Love, Love, Love it all! I really hope you link this up! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW!WOW!! I LOVE LOVE this theme!! It matches one of the party hats I sell on my etsy shop...so fun!!! You did an awesome job...congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. was looking for airplane ideas for an expecting mother's baby shower. You're ideas are awsome and I'm just going to adapt some of them so they can suite a baby shower for a new mommy who loves to travel. Thanks for sharing. everything looks awsome

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute!!
    I love it all....
    xo,
    Maureen
    andersruff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the invites. what seller on ebay?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Where did you get the airplane cookie cutter? How did you use fondant on the cookies after you baked it? They really look awesome. Awesome idea and great organization.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loved the party theme an decor! i'll definitely be borrowing a lot of ideas for my sons first bday bash in december this year! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am not sure if you use this anymore but I was just wondering what the measurements were of your luggage favors. Totally adorable party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was just wondering if you knew what the measurements were of the favor suitcase? So CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello, I wanted to know if you knew the measurements of the favor suitcase box? I clicked the link for the etsy site you gave but the dimensions for the large suitcase luggage box was a bit small. Please email me at armantanona@gmail.com. Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! I love hearing from you!