Monday, November 14, 2011

Preparing for the feast

My most favorite holiday is approaching - Thanksgiving! 



As a child, I didn't care much for it.  Stuck between Halloween and Christmas, Thanksgiving seemed a total bore!  I'd spend the morning reading through the comic section of the newspaper while my parents pored over Black Friday ads, and I'd leaf through the Sears  catalog while watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. 

As an adult, Thanksgiving seems perfect to me!  A day for counting one's blessings, eating delicious food (if one is so fortunate) and being with loved ones.  Compared to the hustle and bustle of Christmas, Thanksgiving's pace is relaxed and tranquil.  No gifts to buy (well maybe just a few for my son *wink*), not much by way of decorating (although I do have a few things to show you), and not much prep other than a fantastic home-cooked feast!

Are you busy prepping at your house?  Are you doing the cooking this year or going over to a family member's house?  What do you do to celebrate and prepare?

7 comments:

  1. Judy, as you well know, I adore Thanksgiving. It has been my favorite holiday for years. I love Christmas but I do not care for the pressure it has attached to it. Thanksgiving is about thanks....I really like that!

    Thank you for the sweet and generous comment you left for me....made me smile.

    We will actually be celebrating Thanksgiving a week after the holiday this year. A lot going on here.

    Happy Monday!
    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you're right. It is such a relaxing holiday! You always have a way of making everything feel extra warm and inviting too. Happy Thanksgiving (almost!). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for your visit today! i am in love with your blog! wonderful words you put out this morning...and so very true. i too did not like thanksgiving as a child, and i hated pumpkin pie...well now, it's a different story...i love both!
    i am joining your blog and looking forward to whatever you write next~
    blessings,
    rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, the witch set was from the Jeanne Bice Seasonal Home Collection from QVC about 5 or 6 years ago. The Home collection was discontinued for some reason. They have excellent construction and the price was really reasonable.

    The meme suggestions are great....will think about it. Life just has to settle down a bit first. Thanks for all the lovely comments.

    Hope you are having a great day!

    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, my friend, for the lovely comment about my table. You warmed my heart....truly.

    I have thought of you several times today as I progress in the house with little Christmas touches. I think of how adamant I used to be on GF about Christmas decorating before Thanksgiving....hehe, guess getting a tad older takes care of so many 'adamant' things.

    Just taking a break with Mikey in my lap....makes it hard to type.

    Many blessings for Thanksgiving to you and your dear family, Judy.

    Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I so agree. It is the calm before the storm. Quiet for us compared to Christmas. Have a good one!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! I love hearing from you!