Friday, November 18, 2011

Count Your Blessings


Counting our blessings is the focus of being what it means to be thankful.  These colorful Pottery Barn Kids Thankful Tree Countdown Calendars are not only adorable, but they're so helpful in getting little ones more involved in the Thanksgiving celebration. 

Thanksgiving should be more to our children than just a turkey dinner and a day off of school.  I want my son to always have a grateful heart for all the many blessings in our lives.

The calendar came with insert cards for each day of November.  We filled each day of ours with a note of something that we're grateful for...followed by a corresponding activity for our son to act upon.

For example: 
I'm grateful for my puppy, Autumn.
Take Autumn for a walk.

The turkey in the photo was one of his school crafts!  I love, love, love all of the beautiful treasures he brings home.  I've mentioned in previous posts that I use them in my seasonal and holiday decor year after year.  It never ceases to bring a smile to everyone that sees them.

I hope as you're finalizing your Thanksgiving plans that you can find time to include some valuable lessons on gratitude with the little ones in your life.  Children learn by what they see us adults doing and saying.  It's easy when we're rushed to be harsh.  Lovies, it's not the succulent turkey or the creative tablescape that our familes will remember. What truly matters is letting those we love know how thankful we are for them in our lives.

Seasonal books are a focal point in our home.
This weekend as I get things ready, I'll be sure to take a few extra moments with my baby.  I promised him that we'd make cookies and do Thanksgiving crafts together.  Pure bliss!!


A headband we made last year with hand tracing feathers
I'm so very blessed to have my handsome, precocious, sweet boy and my loving husband, and I intend on counting every one of my blessings ~ not just on Thanksgiving, but always :)

Looking for an easy and cute Thanksgiving cookie idea?



Try making my Pilgrim Hats
they look darling on the kids table ;)

For more Thanksgiving posts, click here.



3 comments:

  1. The tree is so adorable and such a wonderful educational tool. This is inspiring.

    The little pilgrim hats are toooooo cute!

    I want to bake later this weekend but I am swamped! I love, love baking.

    Happy weekend!
    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this post! I just adore those pilgrim hat treats. <3 And I also love seasonal children's books. I would have fun looking at your collection. That grateful tree is so fun and cute. You're such a good Mom in the way that you're always going deeper than the surface to teach lessons of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Pottery Barn tree is a great idea, Judy! Such teachable moments. Those pilgrim hats look so yummy! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! I love hearing from you!