Is it just me, or does summer seem to be flying by? I can hardly believe that the patriotic holidays of the 4th of July and Canada Day are a thing of memory now. Before you know it, we'll see the familiar sight of school buses driving through the neighborhood (shhh, don't tell the kids!)
So while we still can, we should be savoring these lazy days of summer and soaking in their unabated sunshine and carefree attitude.
Here are a few ways to fill those days with what are certain to give you and your family plenty of summer sweet memories to come:
- Take a drive (with your windows down) to treat everyone to ice cream cones.
- Go swimming!
- Pack a picnic and head to a shady spot.
- Hang your clothes out on the line to dry for that fresh summer breeze scent.
- Visit a farmers market for fresh summer produce.
- Make your own fruity popsicles from scratch.
- Go bike riding!
- Take a hike through the woods.
- Go barefoot in the grass.
- Run through a sprinkler.
- Grill something out (burgers, pizza, veggies, chicken, etc...so many things to choose from!)
- Take your family camping (or just spread out a blanket in the backyard and star gaze).
- Catch fireflies! Pure summer magic!
- Check out a carnival or head to the fair! What's more quintessentially summer than a carnival midway?
- Go for a summer night stroll.
- Dine al fresco!
- Press summer flowers for keepsakes.
- Go berry picking!
- Pick summer herbs for herbal vinegars.
- Check out flea markets, garage sales, tag sales, and outdoor markets for all kinds of unique finds.
- Plan a family car trip.
- Enjoy a baseball game (even if it's just the kids in the backyard).
- Play old-fashioned games like hopscotch, kickball, flashlight tag, etc...
- Draw a mural with sidewalk chalk.
- Use summer lighting: paper lanterns, tiki torches, citronella candles, etc...
- Swing on a swingset or tire swing.
- Lose the dress shoes and sneakers and don colorful flip flops.
- Lighten up your house decor with fluttery, light fabrics and curtains that let in the sunshine.
- It's not too late to plant quick growing veggies like radishes in the garden!
- Pick up a bouquet of sunflowers to adorn your summer table.
- If you live near the beach, go seashell collecting.
- Sparklers aren't just for holidays, use them on summer evenings just for fun!
I hope you're enjoying this summer, and getting every last drop of joy out of these beautiful, sun-filled days!